InnoVenton and The Downstream Chemicals Technology Station
What is Coalgae®?
A composite material formed when live microalgae adsorbs onto the surface of coal and the interaction between the coal and
biomass activated by a low temperature heat treatment step.
What can Coalgae® be used for?
- Use directly in combustion for heat/energy generation
- Pyrolyse at mid temperature ranges (450 – 650 oC) to produce a high-quality fossil-biocrude oil, a clean burning coal (char), and synthetic natural gas
- Gasify to produce syngas for fuel and chemical production, or energy generation
Advantages of Coalgae®
- GHG emission reduction through biomass component
- Combines coal and biomass in one single solid fuel
- Improved combustion (rate of combustion, completeness of combustion)
Tel: +27 (0) 41 504 1111
Fax: +27 (0) 41 504 2574 / 2731
PO Box 77000, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
Port Elizabeth, 6031, South Africa
Privacy statement Mail & Portals BEE & Tax Certificate PAIA ISPA FAQ NMMU Sitemap A - Z Index WCMS